(April 2021) We're looking for our first-ever DevOps Lead! More >
- Everything you'd want is near the office: transit, independent coffee shops and big chains, restaurants, the St. Lawrence Market, and the Distillery District.
- The office is dog-friendly.
- Working from home is an option if it fits with your role and your work.
Millions of people around the globe interact with our software. Our clients are camps, conference centers, schools, daycares, YMCAs, and sport clubs.
- 1 million registered campers
- 50,000 camp staff hired
- 50,000 groups making a conference center booking
- First are the people who run and administer camps and schools and conference centers. These users use CampBrain all day, every day. They are our clients. Providing them with stellar software and service is our mission.
- Second are the parents registering their kids for camp. These are our clients' clients. Providing them with a pleasing, competent and reassuring online registration process is hugely important.
Everyone has the opportunity to contribute… whether it's shaping our culture, determining the company strategy, or setting the product road map–the company will seek out your opinions and value your voice. We work hard to be conscious and deliberate about our company culture because you get the culture you ask for.
A few years ago we upended the way we were hiring. We started worrying less about teachable skills, and focused instead on seeking out people with these innate qualities:
- Aptitude: You have the ability to learn new concepts and apply them to your work.
- Accountability: You are trusted to get things done and you deliver exceptional solutions.
- CampBrain Values: You have empathy. You care about our clients, your work and your coworkers - and feeling like that is a point of pride.
When your team is full of smart, funny, and kind people, it makes all the difference in your work life.
Bring Your Uniqueness
When you feel respected and warmly welcomed, you can thrive. We are working to create and cultivate a culture where inclusivity leads the way we work together, every day. Bring what makes you different; we embrace our uniqueness to create a welcoming environment for everyone.
With thoughtfulness, investment, and action, we are committed to reaching equality for all at CampBrain, and in our tech and camping communities. This is a long-term, lifetime commitment.
- BRAINSTORM: Every October we host a conference for our users. We introduce new features and we eat and we run sessions on the software...but the real goal is to make relationships, get to know our clients and let them get to know us. It's a glorious event.
Canoe Heads for Kids: a portage and a paddle across Toronto's waterfront to raise money for Amici, a charity that sends kids to camp.
Kids in Camp: participating in runs, walks, fundraising events…KIC is another charity that sends kids to camp.
Camp Associations: volunteering on the Board of Directors, helping organize conferences, contributing to efforts to get more kids to camp.
Office and Community Well‑Being
We’re getting serious about sharply reducing our waste and minimizing our carbon footprint. Our office space is “SUC-free” (Single-Use Cups), and we encourage taking our reusable containers out, if you’re picking up lunch in the neighbourhood.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Building an environment which is welcoming to all and respectful of everyone matters a lot to us; we are learning how to be more deliberate and thoughtful in this area.
The Development Team
Millions of people interact with CampBrain, and hundreds of millions of dollars run through the software, so our development team has to be at the top of their game.
The Operations Team
While the Technical Support Team is where most people start at CampBrain, it is common for people to move around and take on different roles and challenges across the operations team.
The Business Development team is the face of CampBrain for potential clients. It's their job to ensure that CampBrain is a good fit for each client, and to identify when our software will not meet a client's needs. A client that only lasts one season is a disaster for everybody. A long, successful relationship - where CampBrain serves our clients year after year - is our primary goal and our proudest achievement.
Personal Growth & Wellness
As CampBrain has grown and matured, so has our capacity to foster the personal and professional growth of our own people:
- Everyone gets an annual personal “wellness allowance” that they can use for fitness or health, or for an intellectual pursuit like a college course or a cooking class. This allowance specifically includes books, resources, and learning opportunities on topics relating to anti-racism and inclusion.
- Mental health matters; our Health Spending Account is supplemented by a subscription to Inkblot, a benefit providing professional and confidential virtual counselling.
- Our Personal Learning Plans provide a structure and funding to support your career vision and objectives, on your schedule; taking classes, attending workshops, mentoring & being mentored, opportunities to lead and present are a part of everyday Brainer life.
- The majority of our non-entry level positions are filled internally.
- We have a Mentorship Program to help people get the skills and experience to make the jump to another role within the company.
- We have a management mentorship program to develop our management skills. Sometimes this is fondly referred to as “Managers' Book Club”, but it's much more than that.
- We have a CampBrain library of business, culture, innovation, and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion books that have inspired fellow Brainers, available for you to borrow.
- We participate in the wider dev community. We’re active in Product Meetups, a UX book club, and the company supports our staff in attending conferences and tech events.